Thursday, October 9, 2008

mushroom?

Leo Platero wrote this for the San Juan Record. Enjoy! When is a mushroom not a MUSHROOM? When we go to town in uncle's little pick-up truck, Grandma has to sit in the back becuz there is not MUSHROOM in the front. Here are a list of ten Navajo words written by someone who has too much time on their hands, according to Sandra Capitan, teacher at Whitehorse High School. 1. CUSTOM - I went to apply for Navajo scholarship but they told me no, so I CUSTOM out. 2. SOCIAL - I went and got me a haircut SOCIAL like me bedder. 3. CRISIS - When my cousin sister's boyfriend dumped her, I had to keep telling her, "Don't CRISIS!" 4. OFFICE - When my sonny boy's bike broke, I told him, "Don't worry sonny OFFICE it." 5. JUICY & PITCHER - JUICY your PITCHER in the San Juan Record? You look somehow. 6. IMITATE - "After the homecoming dance IMITATE you home." 7. PILOT - My buddy and I sure work good togedder, he chops the wood and I PILOT. 8. TEXAS - My buddy always TEXAS me crazy jokes. 9. SODA - My cross-country girlfriend sure runs goot, I said, "I know, SODA her sister." 10. TISSUE - "Come over tonight and I will TISSUE how to make frybread." I tried correcting a spelling error last night when I typed this, and it all vanished. So I hope I got everything right this time. Love you all. I'm enjoying visiting this way. Not as good as seeing you, but the best we can do right now. Please visit in person when possible. Love, Becca

2 comments:

Emy W. said...

Yay for all the updates! Keep it up!!

troy said...

Nice article. If you want to add another, I can give you one Brenden made up. We were playing scrabble and he put O-D-E-R. We all said he spelled it wrong, it's odor. He said no, it's Navajo for "over there" while pointing with his lips. Doesn't sound as good reading it here so you can try it on your own. Have fun and keep the posts coming.